Monday, December 19, 2016

christmas advent, days 15, 16, 17, 18, 19

Ok ok the days are KIND of running together. Our plans have gotten a bit off.

Day 15. Make Christmas cookies. This day didn't quite go as planned... so I made the cookies by myself after they went to bed. Well, Laurel helped me with a batch during the day, and then the Ninjabread guys I cut out and baked at night. We were supposed to decorate them, but that didn't happen until later...



Day 16. Deliver cookies to our neighbors. That didn't happen yet either... I was supposed to go to a cookie exchange in the morning, and then plate up all our treasures for our neighbors, but instead I was doing this:


I changed my own tire and then waited around at Discount Tire for them to tell me it was shredded and that I needed four new ones. Merry Christmas to me! Thanks Santa for the iPad, new tires, and new computer.... It's a very adult Christmas for me this year.

So, we missed the exchange. The Ninjabread men weren't done. I put off this activity until later, also.

Day 17. Go to the Ward Christmas Party. Now THAT we did! We all wore PJs, ate plenty of food, and had an awesome time.


There was a North Pole Post Office where they could write letters to the Bishop & missionaries:




There was Ms. Claus' Kitchen where they could decorate an Oreo pop:


And of course, Santa:


Day 18. Watch the Christmas devotional and play Bingo. Um, we didn't do this at all. But we DID decorate cookies!!! It was glorious! I tried very hard to stay calm.



After they went to bed, I plated 13 gifts for our neighbors with my cookies, a plate my cookie exchange friends made for me because they felt so bad that I missed it, a clementine, a muffin left over from the ward Christmas party, etc. They still need to be delivered.



Day 19. Decorate gingerbread houses with our friends. This is maybe the 3rd or 4th year I've hosted a gingerbread house decorating party for my mom friends. I had two friends come with their kiddos and it was awesome, as always. Great to chat with the moms & let the kids go wild. This year I made my own gingerbread (I was mad the Fred Meyer kit was $12 and I knew I had a container of molasses at home so I had no excuse), cut it out (using cutters I got off eBay years ago), and assembled it. I did the assembly this morning... the secret, according to my ex-mother-in-law-but-still-favorite-person Eileen is straight up melted sugar. The stuff is bulletproof and hardens so fast. Yahoo! The last time I did this I assembled it with a hot glue gun!





The kids had a blast. I stuffed royal icing in two Pampered Chef piping accordions and let them just go for it. Candies in a muffin tin is an awesome decorating hack, too.








I hope this afternoon we get all the cookies delivered. 

I'm having a blast! Christmas is fun!

Jesus ornament words:  Christ. Redeemer of the World, Lord of All, The Messiah.

No comments: