Saturday, November 10, 2012

day 10

Today I am thankful for books. I am thankful for Book Club. We had Book Club last night and it was AWESOME and I LOVE MY FRIENDS and I love how reading and discussing some silly fictional story can bring out the nitty gritty thoughtful details of our lives. This particular book talked about a falling-out in high school of two girls and their rekindling relationship 15 years later, so we all reflected on high school and friendships and what it means to feel shy or powerful or a friend, etc.

Isn't it incredible that books can do that? Make you think? I have a problem, and it is that almost every book I read, I like. I mean, I LOVED Twilight. Was totally engrossed by it. Do I look back now and think I was totally crazy to love Twilight? YES.

I remember distinctly, it was July of 2009 I think, when I realized I was missing the fun of reading in my life, so I borrow Twilight. I was instantly hooked! I remember how much I loved reading! As silly as the book is, I'm grateful it got those reading-pulses pumping again in me.

Next up for Book Club is Pride & Prejudice by Jane Austen, and frankly I'm nervous because I read some of it high school and wanted to die from boredom. We'll see. Maybe I'm more romantic now.

In book club we've read page turners like The Help, interesting documentary-type works like The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks, laughable biographies like Bossypants by Tina Fey, teenage fare like The Hunger Games, and serious ethical-emotional injustice stories like Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet. It's been a wild ride, and I'm so glad I joined this book club because it reminds me how much I love reading. I love it. I love the adventure and the story and interesting writing and metaphor. I love those things.

I've even been able to squeeze in non-book club books in between book-club books, and that's cool too. No one is dictating to me to read them, and I'm still doing it! I proves how novel (haha) and self-directed reading can be.

I'm reminded of when I was a kid and I liked fantasy books. I liked reading books before seeing the movie, like Jurassic Park. One of my favorite memories as a kid was when mom would get a book from the library, usually Robin Cook or Michael Crichton, and she'd read it then tell us kids about it. We'd gather around a circle and listen intently as she described the wild medical mysteries or dramatic adventures of her books. I think it showed me just how cool books were. Thanks Mom! One time, I read this awesome book and did the same thing for my brother Kurt, as soon as I was done reading it I told him all about it, and his eyes were open wide and excited as I described all the plot twists and turns. In fact the book was a little scary and I remember that night he came into my bedroom and slept on the floor next to me. It was awesome we shared that connection -- because of a book!

Of course, I also love reading spiritual books like the Book of Mormon and other scriptures. I can't forget to mention them. I need to read more of them, too!

In general, I'm glad I'm educated and I enjoy this. I hope I can teach my kids to love books, too. I think Wesley is getting there, as we have read Go Dog Go no less than a million times, and our newest selections from the library like Harold and the Purple Crayon and Blueberries for Sal are getting lots of air time. Someone said that they have been reading Harry Potter out loud to their kid, and they were reading it together and I got really excited about that idea. One day I'll read Harry Potter with my sweet son and we'll discover it together. How grateful I am for reading. Really.

Love books.

No comments: