Thursday, November 29, 2012

day 29

In complete contrast but also complete alignment with yesterday's post, today I am grateful for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Note I didn't say the gospel or prayer or testimony, but the CHURCH itself. The organized religion itself. Some people are TOTALLY against organized religion, which is interesting but definitely their prerogative. Me, I love it. I love every aspect of the "organization" that is the Church. I love the Sunday meetings schedule, all three hours of it. I love the programs -- the Primary, the youth program, the Relief Society women's program. I love how they encourage Scouting. I love that I can get a "calling" and am asked to serve, to do my part to help the ward run smoothly (I love that no one campaigns for callings, nor are callings extended by committee). I love how I learn things by participating in how the Church works. I love how I have instant friends (and a support group) wherever I am.

In my new ward I'm assigned to visit teach a sister who is pregnant with her 4th baby. My companion and I decided to throw her a shower tonight! It was a simply affair, just a slew of desserts and punch, with lots of time to socialize. It was awesome! We had a great turnout. She got a bunch of diapers and wipes and some necessities like burp cloths, onesies, baby wash, etc., and she felt totally special. I don't even know her that well, but it was exciting to be part of such a nice night for her. I made a diaper cake! (More on that to come!) It was awesome.

That's the thing about the Church -- it's a network. It's a group. It's a culture (for better and for worse). I realize that the GOSPEL is MORE than that, and I said I was thankful for the gospel on Thanksgiving (and I definitely am!), but I'm just really thankful for the Church, too. I think it has lots of things figured out right. Must be then true, huh? ;-)

No comments: