Monday, November 26, 2012

day 26 -- the house tour!!

I'm ready! I am finally ready to document our NEW HOUSE. We have been here 6+ months now.

I AM SO THANKFUL FOR THIS HOUSE.

I. LOVE. THIS. HOUSE.

Is it a money-pit? Yes. Does my husband rue the day he agreed to buy this house? Maybe. Am I still in love with this house despite its flaws? Absolutely.




This is our BEAUTIFUL house with a NEW ROOF and NEW SIDING. Seriously. 

Front entry way.... cat didn't come with the house. Hehe....





To the right is the "living" room... no TV. Big bay windows, which JUST RECENTLY got blinds. I'm still getting used to the novelty of privacy, haha.



 


If you go back, there is a formal dining room with a fancy chandelier, but HA! I have lived in my last home where we eat over carpet. So no dining for us here. I really love this space. It's our playroom/office. It has another set of bay windows, matching the first. Awesome.





(Baby didn't come with the house. She came with us.)

If you go back more, you enter the kitchen. I LOVE THIS KITCHEN. Big island! Big pantry! New fridge! (we had to buy that, though, so no freebie.) Window over the sink! Eating nook! YAY!











Lookie there, some hanging artwork. I love that we can make this place a home.


Next to the eating nook is the "family" room, with a gas fireplace and big windows to the backyard.



 



I love the big trees. There's an old house behind us, on like an acre or something. Shane and I have said that if they ever try to sell, we'll try to buy it. We need to start our savings account for that now, huh. On the hottest day of the year, the sun sets behind those trees at maybe 4 PM, so we get instant relief. Seriously, the orientation of this house is just perfect. We get all the right kinds of light, shade, greenery. I love it.

Through the family room, to the left, is the mudroom/laundry room, which is awesome.





It leads to the garage. A REAL GARAGE!!! That we can park two cars in! In fact, we can park two cars AND a motorcycle in it! We've tried and succeeded. Although most of the time, Shane's car is in the driveway. I love that MY car is in the garage. I've let the baby sleep out there before.





Storage! Curb-side pickup! A BBQ grill! A furnace! This place is amazing.

I didn't get a picture of the hall that connects the entry to the kitchen, there's a big coat closet there and a hall bath. I recently painted it, all by myself, so I had to post pictures!



 

It's supposed to be "Polished Pewter," but really it's um, lavender. I wonder how Shane feels about that. I love it!  (You sense a theme here?)

At the top of the stairs, I feel, the house is almost symmetrical. You can go right, and you come to two rooms, one on your left and one on your right. (Straight is a linen closet. BLESSED! A linen closet! I'm giddy!)



On the right is our 4th bedroom, an exercise/crafts room. Plus lucky Gabby recently got her litter box moved into the closet. (Is it sad we have 1850+ square feet and I can't seem to find a suitable place for her box? I reeeeally like it in the garage.)



On the left is Wesley's blue "airplane" room.



The curtains are handmade. The quilt is handmade (by Grandma!). The lampshade is handmade! I am also working on a book sling for a Christmas gift.





Back in the hall, if you go left at the top of the stairs, you have three doors -- to the left is the hall bath. A real tub! This is our "ocean" bath. I have paint to paint the wall, "Oasis," which is a light sea blue. That's an over-Christmas-break project.



Right across from the bath is Laurel's green "ladybug" room. I love this nursery theme. LOVE IT. (Umm pardon the piles of clothes. Girlfriend is swimming in clothes.)

 

 

 

 

The curtains and wall-hangings are also handmade. The diaper stacker, sheet set and dust ruffle, mobile, light switch cover, and nightlight are from the Target "Tiddliwinks" ladybug set, some of which was acquired from Target, some Craigslist, some eBay, and the window valance, aka closet valance, came from a friend who randomly bought it at Goodwill to redecorate her daughter's room then never got around to and was startled to find it was our nursery's theme. She gave it to me! What a lucky find!

I need to put Laurel's name somewhere. Maybe that's a craft for another day.

Anyway, the third door, at the end of the hall (this makes it sound like such a long hall; it really isn't), is our room! The master! Ahh! Nice and spacious.



 

It's a VERY cool semi-circular window, but we desperately need a blinds covering for it. It got really bright really quick in there in the summer. (Again, pardon the bags of clothes. Those are clothes little lady has grown out of that I'm rationing out among friends. I command all of you pregnant people -- have baby girls!)

We have a master bath, YAY, with two sinks, another tub (two tubs! this house is a dream!), and a walk-in closet. I tell you, this place has everything.



 

Well, almost everything. The one thing I'd love one day is a utility sink. Maybe in the garage.

I suppose my post shouldn't deceive, this house has been a HUGE HEADACHE in many ways. There are so many things we are worried about and projects we've already had to do. Since we've moved in:
  • the dishwasher has leaked (we got a lucky fix, whew)
  • the disposal busted (still busted)
  • we had a HUGE plumbing problem/leak behind the washing machine (BIG BIG AWFUL DEAL)
  • our master shower got a new valve/faucet/etc., after breaking on us
  • the toilets made funny noises, so we attempted to fix that, which was um, "fun"
  • the crawl space gets water in it, especially during big storms (bad news -- still trying to decide how much $$$$ we want to put into fixing that problem)
  • the yard is really mushy/marshy, especially when it's rainy; we have drainage problems all around
I feel the need to say I haven't seen an insect inside our place in at least a week. AWESOME!

I love this place. It's a lot of work, and strain on the checkbook, but we're making it work. Shane is threatening that I might have to get a real job (haha, seeing as how a couple posts ago I said I was thankful for my career) to pay for it all. I really wanted this house, and I'm glad we're here, although our Christmas wish is for nothing to go wrong this month. (I pray not only for our bodies to be healthy, but our house to be healthy. Seriously.) We're literally putting our plumber's daughter through college, seeing as how he's been here each month of September, October, and November. We're a favorite customer.

So, today I'm grateful for this awesome house. We've had a Halloween party, hosted friends for Thanksgiving, and will host a baby shower in January! I love that there's room to breathe! I'm grateful for so many things. Some nights I stare up at the ceiling just thinking about all the things I love. I'm so glad we're here. 

1 comment:

Stacey said...

I LOVE the greenery. So beautiful. It really is nice to have the space after living without a garage, driveway, extra bedrooms and bathrooms, etc. huh? Glad you finally posted pics!